Palmiers – (Tasty savoury snacks)
1 block puff pastry
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
3 tbsp sun dried tomato pesto
100g feta crumbled
100g mature Irish cheese of your choice
Poppy seed or mustard seeds for sprinkling (optional)
- Cut the block of pastry in half and roll out each half into a rectangle until the pastry is the depth of a £1 coin.
- Spread the mustard on one and the onion chutney on the other. Then roughly grate over the chosen cheese.
- Place a teaspoon at the edge of the pastry to mark the half way point on the shortest edge of each rectangle.
- Starting with the longest side nearest to you tightly roll the pastry towards the teaspoon, stopping at the teaspoon.
- Repeat the process with the far away long edge, rolling until both rolls of pastry are touching.
- Turn over so that the now tight spiral is facing downwards, place on a small board and place in fridge to firm up. (Approx 30 mins)
- Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle over selected seeds if using.
- Repeat this process for the second rectangle of pastry.
- Once chilled, slice the spirals approx. ½ cm apart and place on a lined baking tray and bake in a hot oven 220C, 200c fan, gas 8 or top of AGA roasting oven for 15 mins. (Check after 10 depending on oven)
Many of you will be well and truly engrossed in Christmas shopping by now, but for some of you, the list making is still a work...